Monday, October 24, 2011

"discouragement is not from Christ ..."


not a lot of original thoughts tonight, but hopefully these reminders/insights will prove as helpful to you as they did to me.


after reading yesterday’s post, a friend sent me a link to this article, which she had just finished reading -

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/why-i-never-should-have-had-eight-children


how well i could relate to what the author had felt. how many wonderful things do we never accomplish because of giving an ear to the enemy. and how i needed to to hear this reminder -

“How many times had I told others, “Discouragement is not from Christ, as Christ only encourages. Discouragement is from the devil!” I remembered it then, and my fears and anxieties were banished. Only the devil himself, the one who hates human beings to his rotten core, would taunt me with the notion that my lack of gourmet skills should preclude new life in my marriage. I saw the evil of it then, and I called him out. I still cussed a lot back then, and I am pretty sure I told the devil what he could do with his putrid flood of discouraging thoughts. Yeah, that was a good moment.”

it seems so obvious, and yet satan does such a good job of disguising his lies in truth. just like the author, all of my ‘shortcomings and sins’ are realities. the trick is remembering that God’s Truth always trumps any of the truth of our humanity. as matthew 19:26 says, “with people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” satan’s right. my limitations keep me from being able to do much of anything. but, “i can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (philippians 4:13)

that was after i got home. then i finally took a personality quiz that i had heard about 2 1/2 weeks ago. the timing could not have been any more perfect. i’m always a sucker for anything involving psychoanalysis, but this one was particularly intriguing because it tells you which Bible character you are most like. each profile also includes “a nick name, personality description, potential pitfalls, inhibitors, and personal growth recommendations.” my results were incredibly accurate, and gave me a lot to think about.

i found this point especially humorous - you may use phrases like these: let’s talk later

these observations rang painfully true - in quiet moments you fear that you have no identity or any real significance and can be plagued with self-doubt. you are motivated to search and to find your identity in order to express who you are and ultimately find meaning and significance. establishing a true, honest and unique persona is important to you. you are also prone to blame and hold grudges.

but the advice was exactly what i needed to hear - in these times, it is wise to trust God in your hurts and to allow Him to make things right. try to separate Godly conviction from undue anger at self. move toward right thinking and wise living and refuse to get stuck in the past. if you become too attached to longing and disappointment you may be unable to recognize the many treasures in your life. don’t wait to do something until you feel like doing it. make a commitment to ‘just do it.’

and these reminders provided such encouragement - david demonstrated how this kind of personality can live well and leave a lasting, praiseworthy legacy. you may never feel like you are ready to take charge, but feel confident that God is with you and will sustain you from the largest to the smallest step you take.

so which Bible character are you, and what encouragement could it offer for the way you live your life? check it out for yourself here -

http://beta.monvee.com/userregistration.aspx?cc=T1087313

you do have to register for an account, but it’s free. have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment