Saturday, October 15, 2011

come be with me ...


so ‘pay it forward’ was a very inspiring ... and a very blog-inspiring ... movie. one of my favorite moments is when the mom, a recovering alcoholic who is having a very hard time staying on the wagon, is talking to her son and says -


“if you would be with me on this. if you would think that this is possible. then i think i can.”

it’s one thing to try and have the strength to believe in yourself. it’s something else entirely to have the strength that comes from someone else believing in you. that’s not to say that you should ever expect someone else to do it for you, and another person’s support means nothing if you don’t want it for yourself, but when you really, truly want it, having them be ‘with’ you can be exactly what you need to stay on the right track.

the Christian group watermark has a song called ‘more than you’ll ever know’ which says -

you had faith, when i had none
you prayed God would bring me a brand new song
when i didn't think i could find the strength to sing ...

'cause you've been more than a friend to me
you fight off my enemies
'cause you've spoken the truth over my life
and you'll never know what it means to me
just to know you've been on your knees for me
oh, you have blessed my life
more than you'll ever know

what a blessing it is to have someone fighting on your behalf, speaking truth to, praying for, and believing in you. and what a blessing it is to be that kind of someone for someone else. we were created for relationship, but one of satan’s greatest tricks is trying to convince us that we can do it on our own. after spending much of my life in relationships built on self-reliance, being wanted and needed is now such a mind-boggling concept to me. but that it is what creates connection and communicates love between two people. that is what carries you through when life gets too hard to do on your own.

as amy grant says in her song ‘come be with me’ -

baby this life can break your heart
everyone hurts to some degree
so while this world is falling apart
why don't you come be with me?

we are all faced with life’s hurts at one time or another. we can either fall apart while facing them alone, or let the world fall apart around us while facing them together.

two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: if either of them falls down, one can help the other up. but pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. (ecclesiastes 4:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment