Wednesday, August 31, 2011

God in 'sex & the city' - part 2


well, i have now written every day for over three weeks straight. and more in one month than in the previous two years combined. God. is. good.


in celebration, here is my second installment of “God in ‘sex and the city’”.

carrie returns to the computer store, only to discover that all they could recover from her hard drive was a bunch of gobbledegook (ps. i will have you know that my word processor just recognized that word!). she, of course, is devastated.

And here’s what we could recover from your hard drive …

(There it was. My past. It was a mess.)

Now, we can replace your motherboard. But you HAVE to get yourself a backup system … Start saving. Next time you won’t lose everything.


writing is my longest and deepest passion. i asked for writing homework in kindergarten. i had a story published in 2nd grade. i wrote poetry prolifically in 5th and 6th grade. i even enjoyed using papers as a way to express my beliefs in junior high, high school and college. but somewhere along the way i lost sight of the love that had been placed within me. writing had been my voice, and i was allowing myself to be silenced.

that silence gave satan a lot of room to start talking, and as i started listening, i - like the israelites - quickly forgot so much of what God had given me throughout the years - truths, promises, insights. and also like the israelites, forgetting = wandering. time and time again, i was sidetracked, sideways, and ultimately sidelined in my relationships with others, with God, and with His plans for me.

in the past few months, i felt God challenging me to start looking back through my journals at all the things He had done and said ... and finally start doing something with them. through Bible study, what people shared at church and prayed over me ... and ‘sex and the city’ ... i knew that God was drawing a line in the sand.

it was now or never.

if i didn’t put a backup system into place, i was headed for a full-on crash. but if i started saving, then the next time satan started trying to speak his lies, i wouldn’t lose everything like i had so many times before. i don’t know where this journey is taking me. so often i have let the not knowing keep me from doing anything at all. but now all i know is that i just need to be faithful in the one step that has been placed before me.

what has God said to and done for you in the past that you may have forgotten along the way? when presented yet again with the dilemma of not having enough bread, the disciples doubted, forgetting the miracles that Jesus had already performed.

do you not yet see or understand? do you have a hardened heart? HAVING EYES, DO YOU NOT SEE? AND HAVING EARS, DO YOU NOT HEAR? and do you not remember? (mark 8:18)

don’t allow a lack of memory to keep you from operating in the fulness of what God has for you.

for we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. (ephesians 2:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment