Monday, August 29, 2011

God in 'sex & the city' - part 1


i have a confession.


my name is christine and i like reruns of ‘sex and the city’.

don’t judge.

i watch them on tbs, so they are much more tame than the original hbo version. that’s not to say i will give it a glowing, family-friendly endorsement. but i cannot tell you how many times i have turned on an episode, only to have it speak to whatever i’m dealing with at the time. what can i say, when carrie slips into writer mode, she has some really wise and insightful things to offer. plus, she’s a writer, so it has that added draw.

about 6 weeks ago, i was having a really difficult week and flipped on the tv to help me focus on my work (aka distract me from what was going on in my head). i landed in the middle of an episode of ‘sex & the city’, and within 5 minutes it addressed every single one of the issues i had been fighting with all night.

everyone got a kick out of my resulting facebook status. “nothing like an episode of ‘sex & the city’ to provide a rhema word.” i figure that if God could speak through balaam’s donkey, He can speak through anything.

thank God for my friend’s dvr so i could press pause and copy down the dialogue. there was a lot of good material, so i’ll just include the first part tonight. carrie’s computer had crashed and she was fighting with her boyfriend over not having backed it up.

I have my own system. It works just fine.

*Laughs* Oh, yeah right! You sure about that?

Yeah, I am. I’m not ready for a new computer ... My whole life was on that computer.

Oh I get it. It’s all you. I’m not a part of any of this …

I gave you my keys! What more do you want?!

Your keys?! Oh great. So now I can get into your front door. *Points at heart* How do I get into there? Huh?

I’m sorry. But I’ve been taking care of myself for a really long time. You may not like it, but this is how I deal with things.

*Returns key*

ouch.


opening your heart. letting people in. letting go of control. and of your past.


all things that i needed to be reminded of that night. God is always speaking - whether through His Word, the Holy Spirit, other people, or circumstances - to anyone who is willing to listen ... and even to those who are not quite ready. He is a gentleman and will never force Himself upon us. but He also knows exactly how to break through our guarded exterior and reach directly to the deepest parts of our hearts. He is a personal God, and will meet you right when and where you need it most.


acknowledge the God of your father, and serve Him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. if you seek him, He will be found by you. (1 chronicles 28:9)


where’s the most random place you can find God this week? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment