Thursday, September 23, 2010

GOD OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN' UNIVERSE!!!

Reflecting on John 15: 12-17 as I wrapped up my Bible study this afternoon really drove home a few points about which I had just been thinking. We are called – no, commanded – to love one another, just as Christ loved us. He loved us enough to lay down his life for us – his friends. That’s a pretty great love. But Jesus – GOD OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN’ UNIVERSE – called us His friends. I have a hard enough time understanding how/why my own friends – other humans – love me. Truly. Most of the time I believe that I managed to weasel my way into their lives in such a way that now they’re stuck with me. This isn’t about self-deprecation, though they know how good I am at that. It’s just that I’m not used to really being let into someone else’s life. Granted, I recognize that this is largely my own fault. The point is, however, because I’m not used to it, it pretty much blows my mind when I get to experience it. But that’s nothing compared to the mind-blowing power of friendship with Jesus.

Jesus calls us his friends. Wow. We’re in the club. The inner circle. Maybe you were one of the cool kids in school. I was not. I hated being left out. I hated not being in on the secrets. Okay, that’s probably everyone. But the GOD OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN’ UNIVERSE (this is me reminding myself) has let me in on HIS secrets. You don’t get much cooler than that! And not only does he let us in on what’s going on, but he also wants our help. Needs it, even. Feeling needed might possibly be the most empowering thing in the world. It’s empowering when someone else invites you into their life. It tells you that they feel you have something to offer. It motivates you to step up because they’re counting on you. How much truer is this in our relationship with God?

He’s called us to partner with him in the battle. He chose us. He appointed us. He KNOWS we have something to offer and he’s counting on us to come through [bear fruit]. That sounds like a lot of pressure. But really, all we have to do is remain in him. And remain confident of our position because of him. If David had not been confident of Jonathan’s love for and commitment to him, he would not have been able to go about his normal routine, peacefully playing the harp, while sharing a palace with the man who wanted to kill him. He would have lived in fear. He would have missed out on relationship, he would not have walked out his destiny, and he would not have been able to ask for protection. We can’t act like servants, downtrodden and without rights. Jesus is calling us to a covenant friendship. He has given us his robe, and as long as we keep it on – walking confidently in its power – we can ask for anything in his name. If we don’t walk in that, we’re going to miss out – on the privileges, on the partnership, on being used in someone else’s life. It’s enough to rob ourselves. How much sadder to rob others? There’s so much more on the line than we can ever know. Will we believe? Like, for real?

No comments:

Post a Comment